Ways in which you can self-publish a book.
When an author decides to self-publish a book, he or she is often confused about the steps to be followed and what self-publishing involves. Here is self-publishing simplified, for all authors.
What is self-publishing?
When an author decides not to look for a traditional publisher to publish his book instead, he or she wants to be in the driving seat. He/she decides to carryout the publishers job all by himself or to entrust the same to a self-publishing company of his/her choice.
Self-publishing is when the author has complete ownership and control of the book and its rights, and can publish it through diverse means.
What are the benefits of self-publishing?
- Self-publishing gives the author full creative control. You have 100% creative control over everything from your book’s content to its title, cover, everything. Especially the rights to the book!
- Self-publishing is faster to publish – a published book can be in your hands within 2-8 weeks
- Self-publishing gives higher royalties
- It is easier to make changes if something isn’t working well. As many copies of the book are not printed and stored in advance, textual and design changes can be made even after the book is published.
- Self-published books get a longer shelf life since they are always available online whereas traditionally published books have a limited shelf life in the bookstore – they are periodically removed to make way for newly published books.
- You choose the publisher you would like to work with
- Many more benefits of self-publishing.
To publish a book the steps one should follow are, carefully select the type of editing that will be appropriate for your book, designing the book cover, interior layout as per international standard, page setting, of the manuscript, assigning ISBN, distribution, sales and marketing
To self-publish a book the author is in the driving seat and he or she has to make a choice from 4 options available to him to self-publish. Publishing is after all not one step but a series of steps. And these steps require training, experience and expertise for a professional end product.
4 self -publishing options
- The author can educate and train himself in all steps involved in publishing until he reaches professional proficiency in each step involved in publishing his book. This can be a long-drawn process and the author has to decide whether to spend his time writing a good book or getting involved in the details and minutiae of publishing.
- The author can take the help of individual friends or professionals, each an expert in any one of the multiple steps involved. In this option, the author has to ensure that the final product looks harmonious and not like bits and pieces have been put together and that each expert is following the same look and feel and deadline.
- The author can use free or paid-for templates for self-publishing a book.
- He or she can go to a self-publishing company and take their professional help in all the steps involved in the publishing process. His or her focus can then remain on writing a great book and marketing it at strategic points in the book publishing process, and not just after the book is published.
In all the 4 options above , the author is self-publishing his/her book. However, the author must keep in mind that the output or the end product must be of outstanding quality i.e. expertly and professionally done to ensure that his book has a fair shot at success.
One must, however, remember that merely writing a great book is not enough for success. Marketing the book, whether it is traditionally published or self-published, is critical to make the book succeed.