“Well, write poetry for God ‘s sake, it’s the only thing that matters,” said E.E. Cummings, the famous American poet.
How Can I Write and Publish My Poems?
Are you the kind who thinks in poetry?
Is your obsession with words and their ability to stir up emotions?
Did you swoon in your class in school when the teacher read lines from Ramdhari Singh Dinkar or Robert Frost, Harivansh Rai Bachchan or Lord Byron?
Then, you, my friend, are a poet and don’t even know it! Perhaps your pen has bled many times on paper, but the poems are still lying buried in your personal diary or scribbled haphazardly behind your office work pad. Or maybe you have been more audacious and have a poetry manuscript raring to go, but no poem publishers in India are willing to invest in the fluttering heart that you carry in your hands.
There is this fear and insecurity in the heart and mind of the budding poet, questions that trouble the writer: Who will publish my poems? Does anyone still care about poetry? Where can I publish my poems in India? How will I publish my poems? How to publish a poem online? Where will I find poetry publishers in India?
Since its inception, poetry has been dealing with stiff competition from other forms of writing (novel short stories, novellas, self-help books, biographies etc.). Poetry has always attracted readers from all walks of life. Be it young or old, men or women, those who read in Hindi or English. Poetry does not differentiate. It reflects on our life and the very state of our existence. There is and will always be an audience for poetry as long as there is life itself! Look at Kya Baat Hai, it’s going places. Here is what Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni says about writing a book of poems.
Writing and publishing poems in India Vs publishing a novel
• While a novel may take years to perfect, poetry writing is more spontaneous! You don’t need to quit your job. You don’t need to do a lot of research. You can do it anytime, anywhere, in whatever little time you can manage!
• Reading poems does not require a lot of time! Therefore, it is more appealing to those who are used to consuming content in bite-sized 140 Twitter characters.
• The editing process is bound to take less time with a book of poetry! So you can have your published poetry book in your hands much sooner!
• Finally, the traditional publisher is bound to show an unwillingness to publish your poems over the sea of novels waiting to be printed. More so if you’re an amateur poet or a newbie who has never experienced publishing poems in India. With self publishing poetry publishers in India, you cut the chances of an unfair bias! And CAN get your poems published, after all!
As seen earlier many novelists are also poets! However, writing novels is pretty different from writing poetry. Not just in the content presented but also in the process and the way different subjects are explored. In many ways, poetry demands brevity but that doesn’t mean it has no space for allegories or metaphors. Writers like Margaret Atwood, Vladimir Nabokov, and Chitra Divakaruni, renowned for their long, complex novels, were also poets and have published poetry collections.
It is natural to experience some initial difficulty adapting to a different form of writing altogether, but as you practise, the doubts will gradually fade and we all might have a great poem amidst us. As for publishing, it’s always up to you whatever you want to publish. Poem publishers in India will be happy to give you a space and a platform to showcase your writing.
For the already published writer! Should you also look at publishing poetry in India?
On the other hand, if you’re already a published novelist and need a break before you start working on the second one, don’t shy away from experimenting or trying your hand at publishing poetry in India!
All the top writers in the world have consistently experimented with different forms of writing. The great Rabindranath Tagore wrote not only novels and short stories but also a lot of poetry. Having written three novels, Vikram Seth has also published six poetry books! Jeet Thayil is another contemporary Indian artist who has succeeded in writing poems and novels. The list goes on.
As a writer, you should aim to extend your presence in the public imagination as much as possible. But a long interval between your first and second novel could possibly erase you from the modern reader’s short-lived memory given the endless choices available to them out there.
Writing and poetry publishing online (which takes less time!) could enhance your creative faculties as an artist and help you keep your presence felt in this very competitive market and retain and expand your readership.
Some Useful Tips/Suggestions for Aspiring Poets Who Want to Self Publish a Poetry Book
• Pen original and brilliant poems! That’s a first.
• Write on a topic that you feel passionate about.
• Note down poems that are short, direct, and evoke striking imagery in the readers’ minds. You could also have illustrations to accompany the poems to make them more appealing or have their Hindi or English translations side by side to attract more readers!
• Choose a subject that is relevant to the times you live in. This way you double the chances of your poems sparking the reader’s interest, who is up-to-date with the current affairs.
Understanding the process of how to get a poetry book published?
If you’re confused about how to get a poetry book published or where can i publish my poems in India, how to publish a poetry book, start by researching different publishing methods. Once finalised, look for poetry book publishing houses. Self-publishing is rapidly emerging as an alternative to traditional routes due to its flexibility. Look for a poetry publishers India, that meets your requirements regarding the services you seek and your budget.
In the interim, reach out to your friends and acquaintances and ask them to review your work. Make adequate changes and edits, and submit the final draft of your book. The next step is to send in your poetry and wait for feedback. The poetry book publisher will take it from there, working on designing and formatting your book.
As a poet, however, it is recommended that you create an online presence to promote your book and build a large readership. Creating a social media presence may seem daunting, but you can learn with time. Grasping tips and tricks isn’t that hard. You can refer to our blogs on social media marketing if you’re still confused or want clarity.
- If you would like to write and publish instantly and also publish my poems in India for free, then try the Poet and Author Spotlight platform/DIY Publishing.
- Priyanka, a passionate poet, makes a video to promote her book.
- Watch video of a poet.
Above all, don’t lose hope and keep writing!
Her poetry book hit the best-seller list. Read her interview here
If you have the following questions, we have the answers for you.
To know more about other genres, children’s books, biography, memoir, poems, and short stories, click here