Find answers to FAQs on Publishing a Book
FAQ on Publishing a Book 1: How do you get your self-published book in bookstores?
- Once you have self-published your book print physical copies.
- Have ready physical copies of your book, a visiting card, along with details of the book ready. Approach book stores near your home/office and show them all three things, leave the last 2 with them if no immediate offer to keep your book is coming.
- Approach a book distributor.
- Approach a self-publishing company to help in distribution. Details of how to self-publish your book: https://www.zorbabooks.com/expert-self-publishing-a-book/
FAQ on publishing a book 2: How do I figure which publisher to prefer if I’m new in this field of publishing books?
Once you start the task of finding a book publishing company, you will realise the job is difficult for a first-time author to even find a literary agent let alone finding a traditional publisher who will take on the book. But there are various other free and paid options available to the author, as eBook publishing and self-publishing.
FAQ on publishing a book 3: I want to self-publish a book. What are the basic things I need to take care of to start with this?
- How to self-publish your book? Remember, while one can easily self-publish a book but it makes sense to spend time researching the company that best suits you.
FAQ on publishing a book 4: Can I copyright my book after it is published?
Yes. As soon as your book is written and published, as per the Indian Copyright Act, 1957, you have an exclusive right over the contents of your book. If anyone copies your content without your permission, it is plagiarism. To read more about copyright & ISBN India,
FAQ on Publishing a Book 5: What is an ISBN? How does it work?
An ISBN is an International Standard Book Number. ISBNs were 10 digits till the end of December 2006, but since 1 January 2007, they consist of 13 digits. ISBNs are calculated using a specific mathematical formula and include a check digit to validate the number.
Each ISBN consists of 5 elements with each section being separated by spaces or hyphens. Three of the five elements may be of varying length:
- Prefix element – currently, this can only be either 978 or 979. It is always 3 digits in length
- Registration group element – this identifies the particular country, geographical region, or language area participating in the ISBN system. This element may be between 1 and 5 digits in length
- Registrant element – this identifies the particular publisher or imprint. This may be up to 7 digits in length
- Publication element – this identifies the particular edition and format of a specific title. This may be up to 6 digits in length
- Check digit – this is always the final single digit that mathematically validates the rest of the number. It is calculated using a Modulus 10 system with alternate weights of 1 and 3.
FAQ on Publishing a Book 6: How long does it take to self-publish a book in India?
FAQ on Publishing a Book 7: Is self-publishing a good idea in 2020?
Self-publishing is a good idea for those who want to escape the uncertainty of being accepted by a publisher and not being involved in the publishing process. Read up on the different types of publishing options available and the pros and cons of each publishing option. Self-publishing has presented authors with many benefits.
FAQ on Publishing a Book 8: How can I write and publish my book in under a year?
- Break down your work into tasks and deadlines. Compose your best work within 6 months.
- Dedicate the rest of the time to finding a publisher, creating an audience base, promotion, marketing etc.
FAQ on Publishing a Book 9: How do I get my book published by a good publishing house?
Once you have zeroed in on a publisher that suits your requirements, visit their website. Go to the ‘Submit your manuscript/publish with us’ page. Go through the details and read the instructions carefully. Make sure whatever you submit is written in the format as requested by the publisher. Do not forget to follow all the rules and guidelines as stated by the publisher.
FAQ on Publishing a Book 10: What is the difference between self-publishing and traditional publishing and which one’s better?
In traditional publishing, an agent gets your book to the publisher and the publisher publishes your work. If an agent is not involved, you need to submit your manuscript to the publisher yourself and wait for acceptance.
For first time authors, traditional publishing is a difficult route to take as there is no surety your script will be accepted. Self-publishing is an easier route than traditional publishing, however, you must research to see whether the self-publishing route is the best option for you.
FAQ on Publishing a Book 11: What is the cost of publishing a book?
The cost of publishing will depend upon whether you are going in for traditional or self-publishing and further your publishing requirements. Your publishing requirements as the publishing services you are looking to take, editing and the type of editing, the level of skill you are looking to hire. For detailed input on cost of publishing read here.
FAQ on Publishing a Book 12: What are the benefits of publishing an eBook?
The biggest benefit of an ebook is reproduction cost is almost 0. If you are considering an ebook but don’t know much about eBook benefits, an indepth understanding of the same is a must. But if you are wavering between eBook and print book read this to improve your understanding.